Friday, October 28, 2005

Miss Einstein

I hate study.

I cannot, for the life of me, sit down at a desk and read a textbook for an exam. It's boring, tedious and slow. Study is the bane of my existence. I learn through doing, not through reading what someone else has written and hope that something sticks in my vacant brain. I am not academic smart. I find reading a chore, however researching is another story.

I find study pointless because you suck all this information out of a book within 4 days, for the sole purpose of regurgitating the same information for the duration of the 2 or 3 hours it takes to finish the exam. And then you go home and nothing would be left in your brain. I remember studying Fraser's Typology for Copywriting exam last semester and I remember answering the question and feeling pleased with myself that I not only studied it, but remembered it too. But now, 4 months later, I wouldn't be able to tell you what Fraser's Typology is. Only that it has 7 factors.

I'm not one of those people who will read the manual from cover to cover. I'm one of those people who gets someone else who knows how to work the contraption to explain to me how it works and show it to me. Even sitting there listening to the explanation bores me. I need someone to let me do it, while showing me what I'm doing wrong. Academic ADD? I think I'm just being ridiculous.

I will grit my teeth and curse silently to myself (and to Sam over MSN) about how much I hate study. And then I will do it because it has to be done. I do it because it's the last exam I will ever sit for in my life (hopefully) and I will hate myself for all eternity if I don't study and get a 4 instead of a 5 for this confounded subject.

No comments: