Saturday, December 31, 2005

Resolve

A lot of people seem to think that New Year's resolutions are things that were designed to make us feel bad about ourselves. We make promises that we'll never keep and the guilt of not being able to keep a commitment makes us wonder why we bother in the first place so we give up.

I don't want to give up. I'm one of those annoying idealists who still believe in the good of mankind & that we really can make a difference. I still believe that resolutions are a good way to make changes in your life in the continuous pursuit of becoming a better person (and subsequently helping to make this world a better place). My cynicism has not yet extended so far and thank god for that. I still think that there is still hope for us & that we're not all completely jaded and bitter.

Last year, I set no resolutions but I did set goals. My goal for 2005 was to complete my Bachelors with my sanity intact and qualify for the Honours program. I did both. In my journey & through the people around me, I learned new things about myself and about life. It was your typical smorgasboard of triumph, defeat, celebration, contemplation, heartbreak & highs.

The year ahead will be challenging. School will be difficult, student activities will be time consuming and many of my friends are planning to leave Brisbane (and me!) for greener pastures (such as London... bah). The idea of facing the year ahead alone is scary, but having learnt to be brave this year, my New Year's resolution for next year will be to be strong.

And despite what I've been saying to my friends about how I guarantee, I'm going to lose my mind by April, I'll try not to let that happen. Someone's gotta bring some sparkle into your lives ;)

No comments: