Tuesday, January 24, 2006

In For It

I met with Rebekah Bennett this morning. Senior Lecturer and possibly, my supervisor. We talked about my Honours research and she proposed a topic for me to do; brand loyalty in the B2B context. It intrigued me. It was interesting, relevant and think of all the contacts I would make through all the networking I'll be doing. I think we might have a winner.

Rebekah warned me that Honours year is a difficult year. Hell Year, she called it. It wasn't the first time I have heard someone refer to it that way. She told me stories of how people break under the pressure. How there will be tears; there will be dramas; there will be emergencies. I envision tearing my hair out and screaming before collapsing to the floor in a piteous puddle of a mess. Take care of yourself, she said. Make sure you eat, make sure you sleep, make sure you exercise, she told me. Geez, this is really starting to scare me.

You will live your thesis.

Wow. My friend Sandeep, who did his Honours in 2005 told me that if I was willing to give up a social life (or life in general for that matter), then he said I should be fine for honours. Should. Rebekah told me of one student who was lucky to live at home because her mother cooked for her and did the laundry and all things mothers do that we have to do when we stop living with our parents. Who will look after me?

Who will make sure I've eaten, or that I've had enough sleep? Who will be there to tell me that yes, I may hate deadlines but they're a necessary evil to keep this world evolving? Who will be there to drag me out to ice cream if I've locked myself in my room, on strike from all the work I'd have to do? I'm scared now.

It's not impossible to do it alone.

Just harder.

No comments: