Tuesday, July 11, 2006

On and on



The All Blacks won their test match against the Wallabies on Saturday. I watched the game at River City with Lindsay (a Kiwi) and Bernard. They started with a new haka, Kapa O Pango haka, which is very different from the Ka Mate haka. In the end they slaughtered the Wallabies 32-12, much like the throat-slitting gesture at the end of the new haka. Ooh...

Damien took me to the Gold Coast on Sunday & while it was nice, I think a day at the beach is boring if you don't go swimming and lay on the sand. It was too cold, damn winter air is still lingering on the coast. What do you expect when Goldie is actually down south from here? But still, it was nice that he took me. Trying to make up for the fact that he had postponed our meeting time by an hour.

Orientation starts this week. This morning, I had to address the incoming international students at the official QUT welcome. I'm not a stranger to public speaking, but Z411 was at maximum capacity and I always get a bit nervous just before I go on. I made friends with the former Dean of Business but now Deputy Vice Chancellor, the University Registrar and the University Chaplain - just to name some. I really know how to pick em.

Professor Sandra Harding introduced me to the crowd. Faculty of Business Merit Scholarship recepient. Current Honours degree student. President of Singapore Students Association.

It didn't end there. Former volunteer for ISS. MC for East Meets West Launch. Newsbites contributor. Research Students Colloquium organising committee member.

Jeez, I sound pretty super don't I?

The crowd laughed when I made jokes (phew), seemed to listen and it went quite well. Ray Morley said "Very well done" just as I sat back down. Sandra Harding said it was excellent and thanked me. Carol Dickenson said it was very good and thanked me too. Many people thanked me for making the speech. It was as if I was doing them a favour. Then Peter Gatbonton suggested I speak at the Official Farewell. Eeks.

When I got back to the office, my results were waiting for me. As anticipated, a 5 for Boris's class. Damn Research Seminar... so freaking hard. I got 6s for everything else. Sigh. I was hoping to get a 7 for Paula's class :(

Checked my mail and the teaching evaluations were ready. Typically, my Consumer Behaviour angels rated me well. My Advertising brats were a bit more difficult to please. The results were expected.

Another day at the office. I have my Method deadline today. And I left my makeup bag at home. Sob.

1 comment:

Si1vara said...

Wow you sound realy high-flying babe! Woohoo! :)