Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I see stars

Know what I learnt today? The bank isn't the only place that opens at 9.30am. The doctor's office here at work opens at 9.30am too. Does anyone open before then? I know Coles opens at 8am. I think.

Anyway, I've been a starstruck girl. It started from almost 2 weeks ago when the Faculty had their first ever Colloquium. I was on the organising committee and on the day itself, I was sitting at the registration desk in the morning. At one point I looked up and there he was, the Dean of Business standing there. I didn't know whether to call him Sir, or Professor, or Professor Little, or (god forbid!) Peter. I took a folder and his nametag, gave them to him, smiled and said, "This is for you."

Oh god.

Everytime I see the Dean, I'm struck with movie star-like awe. I get flustered and I don't know whether to say hello, or smile. Is it appropriate? What do I call him? I just freak. It happens every time I see him in the lift.

A week later, I stopped by Rebekah's office to say hello and to pick up some fake money for the Market Day she was having with her AMB240 students. As I was standing at her door, someone came up from behind me and it was the Vice-Chancellor. I just froze cos I was so stunned. Rebekah introduced me as "Nadia, one of our Honours student who's staying on to do a PhD." He said, "Oh, really?" and then asked me what my topic was going to be. How exciting!

Then yesterday, I was in the lift with Dominique. We stepped in and the Dean was there. I looked at Dom and Dom looked at me and I could tell she was as starstruck as I was. I smiled and said hello and he said hello. I think he remembered me!

So. I don't get excited when I see sports stars, or tv stars. I get excited when I see people like the Dean of Business or the Vice-Chancellor of the University. Hehe.

No comments: