Friday, June 22, 2007

Are academics alcos?

I'm actually waiting for 5.30pm to arrive because then, I can help myself to free food and booze. Woo hoo. The school is having some Graduand Reception for students who graduate this semester, which is kind of like a little farewell party. Rebekah decided to RSVP on my behalf, but I was already supposed to meet her and the rest of the usual suspects for drinks tonight anyway.

I was sitting at my desk, planning my New Zealand escapade aka what I plan to do after my conference in Dunedin. I looked at Queenstown, Christchurch and Wellington and was trying to work out flights, things to do and how many days to do it all when I realised I only have 5 days. So that squashed my New Zealand escapade and downsized it to a New Zealand stint, of which I will probably only see Christchurch in the end. I wouldn't be able to stay away for too long because it turns out, I will have to be in Brisbane over the summer. I was asked if I wanted to co-ordinate Consumer Behaviour for the summer semester, including lecturing the subject. How many ways can you say yes!? So turns out, I may very well be running the subject for summer school. Woo...

So then, I started working out the timetabling for the summer semester. There would be 13 lectures and 11 weeks to play with. If I have 2 lectures a week, I can take a week off for the ANZMAC conference (hence only 5 days in NZ after), a week off for Christmas, and 3 weeks off in January for Damien's Asian Tour. Damien is keen on coming to Singapore during the Christmas break and we might take a detour to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur while we're at it. Whee.

So then, I started planning my SouthEast Asian Destination holiday and looking at where I could take Damien in Singapore. So far, I'd decided on the Night Safari and Sentosa, while vaguely deciding on the Zoo. I decided everything else sucked ass and there was nothing else to do except eat and shop, so I doodled around for a while - sipping Singapore Slings at Long Bar, going rollerblading at East Coast, ladies' night at St James... and then I got bored.

So I dragged Cheryl along with me to get coffee at Merlo's because I was sleepy. And it's not like I have no work to do. I have a conference paper to fix and RA work that's been sitting on my desk, crying for attention. But I cannot get my arse into gear. I've been pretty much in a cruisy mood this whole week since I got back. The most work I did this week was probably marking those exams from UQ. Shudder. That's another story to tell.

So, 4.34pm now. Just under an hour to go for my free alcohol.

If there's no booze, I will be very, very upset.

1 comment:

Si1vara said...

Bring him to Sentosa! It's a little different now and the beach is much nicer than the one at east coast anyways. You can stay at a chalet overnight(cheap on weekday nights)and go see all the stuff there like the Underwater world and chill at Cafe Del Mar. Heh heh. :)