I feel like I'm having a bad week.
The last few weeks I've been feeling like I'm in a rut. I've just been distracted by having to finish the conference papers, so I haven't really noticed how things have gotten quite blah.
Everyday, I sit at my desk bored out of my mind. If I stay at home instead, it's just as boring. But the boredom is one thing.
I'm also starting to feel frustrated with my whole gym routine. I started exercising again last year because I felt a little bit better from it. This year, Lindsay and I joined a gym with the idea to get fit and lose weight. I don't know how fit I am, but I sure as hell am not losing any weight. It's frustrating because I've been at it for almost 12 weeks now and I am just not losing any weight. I go for cardio classes on average 3 or 4 times a week. I try to do some yoga and resistance training as well. I just feel like I'm torturing myself by dragging my ass to spin class multiple times a week, but seeing no results.
Damien says it's because I still eat crap, and maybe he's right about how my diet is all wrong but I'm a bit offended that he chooses to use the word "crap." I tell myself that it's probably the blunt nature of men. I don't think I eat crap. But I won't say I have the most fabulous diet either. I've cut out a lot of unhealthy foods I used to eat, foods which my family still eats and I just look, sometimes feeling a bit grossed. I don't eat chocolate or sweets often. I rarely drink soft drinks. My coffee consumption has been cut down to once a week at the very most. I don't eat junk food. I don't eat a lot of instant food or microwave dinners.
I do eat a lot of food with cream and cheese and I do agree that these are types of food you need to cut out to lose weight. I do enjoy desserts but usually only once or twice a week. But I don't eat these foods excessively and I wouldn't call them "crap" because as long as it's in moderation, it's all fine.
What am I doing wrong?
I guess maybe I'm frustrated because I've made so many changes in my life lately, but I don't see any change in the outcome. How long more before I'm supposed to see any difference? I'm upset that I've made so much of an effort to have a good, healthy and happy life, but everything looks the same and feels the same.
I'd love to have someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.
5 comments:
Just a frienly note to say that you are probably not doing anything 'wrong'. But you seem to be a very busy person and may lack sleep. I have been in the same stagnant position in the past where I used to do intense aerobics classes almost every day and hit the threadmill afterwards, with no real changes. Recently, I embraced a combination of changes which have worked for me. The most drastic changes have been: less work, less stress and more sleep. I found this article about sleep and weight regulating hormones which may or may not help you:
http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2004/dec/08sleep.htm
This may not relate to you at all but I thought I'd try helping someone whose blog I really appreciate.
Hi Nad :)
Hafiza here, your sec 1/2 RGS classmate. remember me? regarding your dilemna here... i think it all boils down to stress. True. Stress inhibits your body from losing weight. So, try and chill a little, dun worry so much abt losing the weight so slowly/or not at all. Sometimes, your body will get a sudden trigger to WAKE UP and the magic will happen.
Just make sure you exercise regularly still. And if possible take strength training more seriously. Cuz your muscles are the ones that'll 'work out' when you're not working out. hmnn.. Just a tip! (from a mother of 2...yes, 2 already. hehe)
FYI, me working my ass off too in between going for classes, facing ridiculous monkeys who smell like armpits.
Hi Fiza!
Yes, I remember you. I heard abt your kids from Kay :)
Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I'm not stressed at work or anything like that. Far from it. But, I will try to stop thinking about losing weight. Sounds like a good start as any.
Don't totally cut out stuff like chocolate if you love it. 'Cos then you'll just go on a binge sometime later. Just moderate. And stay away from sugared drinks, they're silent killers.
Think I've never eaten so much junk like I've been eating since I got to the US. Bleah.
That's because ur in the US. Land of excess and over-consumption. Birthplace of McDonalds and KFC. And they wonder why so many of them are obese :P
Post a Comment