Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Ho Ho Ho

It is a week to Christmas and I'm feeling it.

This will be my second Christmas in Brisbane. I was here for it the first time last year because I wanted to experience New Year's in Brisbane for once. This year, it feels much different from last year. I feel the festive air more than I did so last year.

What was I doing last year?

I'd just finished Honours and jet off on holiday to the Gold Coast. When I came back, I went to ANZMAC and then I did... nothing. I can't remember doing anything for the other 3 weeks of December '06 until I left the first week of January. I remember Bernard's Christmas party. Joel had made this huge turkey which was a bit of a monstrosity to look at in the kitchen, but on the dinner table it was yum... I remember we had chocolate fondue at our house because I bought Joel a set for Christmas. I remember Sandy's Cocktail party with secret santa. I remember going to Damien's parents' house on Christmas day and eating prawns and turkey in front of the TV, and Damien falling asleep and me watching some weird movie with his parents. But I don't remember the build up.

I think last year, because I was bumming around, I wasn't really surrounded by people getting geared up for the holiday so I never felt the festive air. I feel it this year and I understand now why Christmas is such a big deal in Australia.

I try not to get to caught up in Christmas as I still think that it is fundamentally a religious holiday. I used to think of it as a social holiday, but as I am realising that my philosophy in life is to look at the intent, to me the intent of Christmas is really a religious one. As such, I do not celebrate Christmas as it is not a religious holiday for me. I no longer see it as a social holiday either because I now believe that a religious holiday and a social holiday are mutually exclusive. You will have those who see it as one and those who see it as the other, but you have to pick a side. Kind of like sexuality; gay or straight, pick a side and none of that bisexual bullshit.

I find it interesting how everyone gets excited over Christmas, or how people stress over presents, or how others complain about financial constraints. I enjoy the decorations as I think it's festive. I enjoy the shopping because I appreciate nice packaging, product bundling and price discounts (you can tell I am a marketer). I enjoy most the break that Christmas coincides with. I like that it's close to New Year's and I think that it's a nice way to end the year.

I haven't asked for anything this year, which is weird because I didn't really ask for anything for my birthday either (except maybe one Tiffany's ring). But I enjoy products from Mecca, Kit, Nine West and Tiffany's. Although I think depending on the season, Nine West products can be quite shit and I wouldn't expect friends to get me something from Tiffany's (I am quite reasonable). But so you know, in case anybody is curious :p

No comments: