Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mrs Po-Po

I've moved from being bored, to being discouraged. My boredom has led me to being distracted and I've inadvertently started thinking about my health and fitness. Again.

I've rarely talked about it here because honestly, I am a little embarrassed by this and would rather die than talk about it face-to-face to anyone else (besides trainers at the gym and the boyfriend). So if anybody feels compelled to leave any comments, please be kind.

It began this year when I came back from holiday. My clothes suddenly felt tighter and my measurements all went up. I was horrified that just 3 weeks of holiday can cause me to balloon to the point of no recognition (it's so grossly unfair that it is so much harder to get the flab OFF). Upon my freakout, I started hitting the gym again properly. 6 weeks into that, I was seeing little results (although some clothes fit again) so I had a re-assessment at the gym.

It's been 5 weeks now and here's what I've started doing differently:

  • I started walking on the weekends around the neighbourhood. Damien has a running circuit around New Farm that takes you to the Story Bridge, down to the walkway along the river, then back to New Farm park. We try to walk that together at least once on weekends and sometimes we run for a little bit of the way. Mostly, we just walk and all up it's about a 6km route.
  • I started walking on the treadmill at the gym on my own before or after classes. I do 30 minutes and started on flat surface but now do an incline.
  • I started weight training on my own last week. I do rows, shoulder presses, bench presses, tricep dips, squats, and bicep curls at 16 reps, 3 sets each.
  • I also started going to the Saturday class at the gym last week.
  • Lunches are now leftovers from dinner. I really cannot afford the time to prepare a separate dish for lunch.

I have not lost a single kilo. My weight has stagnated and has remained where it is for so long. It has just not moved. My measurements are either moving very marginally or not moving at all. I don't know what else to do besides starve myself.

I know people say that you shouldn't just look at the numbers on the scale. You should look at your measurements (no difference), or how your clothes fit (also no difference). The only difference now is that I really do enjoy my workouts now. I never experienced as much enjoyment from my workouts before as I do now. I still think I look like a po-po (look at the freaking photo of me on Bernard's blog!) and sometimes I just feel so crappy that nothing seems to be working.

I've been working my arse off for 11 weeks now. No change.

5 comments:

orange scent said...

Boredom happen when you are doing something that you don't like and you have no time for fun.Maybe you hate the situation you are in, the place you live or the surrounding but you supress the feeling, ignore it..the best way is to be honest with yourself and you can see the solution.

nadia said...

I might have to disagree with you on that. I don't believe that boredom is an outcome of doing something you dislike and having no time for fun. I think the outcome of that is unhappiness or frustration maybe, but definately not boredom.

orange scent said...

You said you are bored, you are feeling discouraged.. work is boring..so you are feeling unhappy right now. I think you know why.. suppress feelings?? I think you know what...Learn some relaxation technique.Meditation helps.Maybe you can try it.I have to warn you though the calm feeling from meditation is addictive...:-)Anyway, I wish you well and hope you will feel better soon.Take care Nadia.

nadia said...

I was bored at work. It happens.

On the other hand, I was feeling discouraged over my lack of results despite much work at the gym.

The two are separate and mutually distinct :)

Unknown said...

Ehh. I think you look great whatever it is. Better than being a walking stick figure! :)