Monday, April 07, 2008

A nice weekend

I finally bought a hair straightener over the weekend. I suspect I'm a whole lot happier about it than I realised because I actually had a dream about using it last night. A dream about using a hair straightener. That is so sad.

Friday
Anyway, I spent the weekend finishing off the changes to the confirmation document just before 5pm on Friday. Of course, this left me feeling like my brain was melted so I was desperate for a drink. Unfortunately, I was so unpopular to be unable to scrounge up any friends to have a drink with. Sigh. Friday arvo and no plans.

I hung around the office, playing online Sudoku until Lindsay called saying she'd just finished work and asked me to come over. So I played online Sudoku some more and then decided to leave. I hung around Lindsay's place for a while and then we all left soon after to head to the Korean place at Elizabeth Arcade. I wasn't joining them for dinner, but I sat with them for about 15 minutes or so.

Damien came to pick me up in the city, after which we went home so he could shower and then we went out again for dinner. We ended up at Satay Club, which I always enjoy, and then got a DVD out to watch at home. We ended up getting Halloween. Damien was very enthusiastic about that choice and I didn't really mind. I'd never seen any of the Halloween movies before and this one was about how Mike Myers came to be the way he was. The movie started out in his childhood and followed him into adulthood, providing us with the explanation to his deranged, homicidal mental state.

I thought it was a pretty good movie at the start. It was disturbing, but it made sense and you couldn't help but feel bad for the kid, thinking he never really stood a chance. But in the climax of the movie (which is always a chase and someone running for their life), I thought it had grown a bit weary. I mean, how many times do you want me to see him kill somebody? You're not giving me anything new. So anyway, I thought it was good, but the last bit became a little bit boring. Only because it was so drawn out.

Saturday
The next day, I was looking forward to the Powerhouse markets but must have made a mistake on the dates because the markets weren't on. We went to the West End markets instead and then headed into the city, where I did some shopping. I finally managed to scrounge up some money to buy some clothes (basics including one black shirt, one long sleeved shirt for winter and 2 camisoles), a hair straightener (finally!), some accessories for me to wear on my night out that night, and a copy of Women's Health and Fitness (a little more about that maybe later). I thought it was a Saturday well spent so far. Although I still hadn't had my drink for my melted brain.

I was meant to see the Phantom of the Opera with Bernard, Chris and Inggun that night and strangely hadn't been able to muster up much excitement about that. But getting ready started to make me feel more enthusiastic about the whole thing.

I quite enjoyed the musical, although I don't really understand people who rave about it or see it multiple times. I did think it was very good, but I still didn't get the raving or the desire to see it multiple times. I think that ruins it. Once was enough. I was very impressed by the sets and took great delight in the elaborate stage props and backdrops. I enjoyed that the most. And I also really enjoyed the performer who played the Phantom. I thought he was a really good performer. Out of all the characters, he felt the most real. I felt his anguish and his struggle and I thought that he did a great job communicating those emotions. He was very commanding, very captivating.

I contemplated having a drink after the show but decided I was too poor to spend $15 on cover charge just to keep my eye on somebody at the Met, so I went home. I curled up on the couch with some mee goreng and the Godfather (part 2) on telly. I kept falling asleep throughout the movie, much to my dismay because I really wanted to see it.

Sunday
I slept in until quite late on Sunday, which was quite glorious indeed. Damien suggested yum cha for lunch, which pleased me very much as I had mentioned in the past week that I'd missed it quite a bit. After yum cha, I roamed the shops on my own while Damien sat somewhere reading a book. We went to watch Semi Pro, which was quite funny. It was a nice way to spend a Sunday.

All in all, it was a low key weekend, but it was good. I managed to do a few things that were quite enjoyable and get a few things I wanted to get for a long time.

No comments: