Monday, August 03, 2009

An interesting weekend

Friday
I was meant to go for a hip hop class with Lindsay on Friday night but had to cancel because I was too tired and my body was incredibly sore. I'd been sleep-deprived all of last week, so I figured some R & R would be nice.

Saturday
I had to get up earlier than usual to get into work and register for the sessional staff traning day, before ducking out for French class. French was great as always. So far we've been learning all about food, how to use the correct articles when talking about food, and how to describe different types of food in French. After that, I went back to work for the training day (having had to skip the morning session because I had French) and was going to sit in on a session about how to teach content that is both theoretical, practical and real-world. But once I got there and read the handout, it was clearly for lab work or workshops and not so much about teaching students content that was both academic and applied (which would have been useful) so I left. I tried to get into another session, but it was full and the woman refused to let me in for health and safety reasons, which I appreciate but a man walked up from behind me and went in and no one stopped him!

How annoying. After the training day, a bunch of us got picked up to go to a farewell BBQ at Kangaroo Point, which was quite nice given the view. No pictures, because I've gotten quite lazy about taking snaps. We didn't stay very long though, and I was pretty exhausted by the end of it. I got home and went to bed. Didn't even bother about checking the rugby scores that night like I did the week before.

Sunday
I got up at 5.30am. FIVE-THIRTY AM!!! I'd decided to join Lindsay and the running group, which was at West End. It was one ferry ride away, so I decided I didn't really have an excuse. I always feel so restless by the end of the weekend because I wouldn't have done any exercise since the Thursday before and I'm pretty bad about doing exercise on my own. I find that group activities suit me best, even if it's stuff you do individually, but along with others.

We ran 6km from the West End ferry up to the Kurilpa Bridge construction area and back. The others ran just over 10km and I suppose 6km is not much for someone like Lindsay (who freaking does half marathons) but I have said this before and I reiterate, I am not a runner. So in all fairness I think 6km for someone who does not run is enough. I have actually gone for a run about twice now from the office to SouthBank but that's like 2km all up. That's like, nothing in the company of runners :(

I finished my run in about 50minutes, which I suppose is not too bad for someone who is not a runner. We went for breakfast and I headed back home to shower, clean the house and do some laundry. I managed to squeeze in a 20-minute nap before Damien showed up (early) to take me to lunch and see Cats at SouthBank.

We went to La Vie, which is one of the new (I don't know exactly how new) cafes/restaurants along Little Stanley Street. It's next door to Beastie Burgers and I'd wanted to try that place for a while. It's a little Italian place and I ordered a field mushroom and porcini pizza with a Messina Lager. Yuuum.... no pictures because my camera decided to die.

After lunch, we went to QPAC to see Cats, which I was giddy with excitement over but once we sat down and the show started I thought, "Oh dear..." I just didn't get it. The whole first act went over the top of my head. I didn't understand what was going on and I couldn't understand what they were singing. I could pick words here and there but the sentances weren't making sense. I was stressing that perhaps I was so uncultured and so stupid as to be the only person who wasn't getting it, but Damien felt the same way. Thank god.

During the intermission, Tim loaned us his program, which informed us that there really was a story after all. The second half was actually a lot better than the first and I actually understood more in the second half. It was more entertaining and more interesting. The first half was just all over the place for me... I think I should stick to watching the ballet next time.

No comments: