When my plane landed in Canberra, I looked out the window and thought, "I'm in Canberra... SIGH." But once I step out of the airport, I'm greeted by a nice cool breeze and think of everyone back in the Brisbane heat and humidity. Hehe.
I arrived at the hotel early and my room wasn't ready, so I went to the National Gallery of Australia to catch the Masterpieces from Paris exhibition. I changed my flights around to catch this exhibition. This is how much I like going to galleries.
The exhibition featured works by post-impressionist artists from the Musée d'Orsay. The most thrilling moment for me was when I came face to face with Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night, one of the pieces I love by him. At the end of the exhibit there is the obligatory gift shop, but this was a gift shop like no other. I have never been to an exhibition where the gift shop has blown me away as much. It was like every item they could think of, they sold at the gift shop. There were postcards, posters, placemats, aprons, alcohol, magnets, underwear, you name it - they had it. With a "Masterpieces of Paris" stamp all over it.
I was tempted to buy some framed A3 prints (Van Gogh and Monet) but in the interest of cost-saving opted for postcards instead. I went a bit nuts with the postcards because I got quite a few:
I arrived at the hotel early and my room wasn't ready, so I went to the National Gallery of Australia to catch the Masterpieces from Paris exhibition. I changed my flights around to catch this exhibition. This is how much I like going to galleries.
The exhibition featured works by post-impressionist artists from the Musée d'Orsay. The most thrilling moment for me was when I came face to face with Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night, one of the pieces I love by him. At the end of the exhibit there is the obligatory gift shop, but this was a gift shop like no other. I have never been to an exhibition where the gift shop has blown me away as much. It was like every item they could think of, they sold at the gift shop. There were postcards, posters, placemats, aprons, alcohol, magnets, underwear, you name it - they had it. With a "Masterpieces of Paris" stamp all over it.
I was tempted to buy some framed A3 prints (Van Gogh and Monet) but in the interest of cost-saving opted for postcards instead. I went a bit nuts with the postcards because I got quite a few:
Claude Monet: Londres, le Parlement: trouée de soleil dans le brouillard (1904)
Henri-Edmond Cross: Portrait de Madame H.F. (1891)
Maurice Denis: Regates a Perros-Guirec (1892)
Maurice Denis: Les muses (1893)

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec: La clownesse Cha-U-Kao (1895)
Très jolie!
Henri-Edmond Cross: Portrait de Madame H.F. (1891)
Maurice Denis: Regates a Perros-Guirec (1892)
Maurice Denis: Les muses (1893)
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec: La clownesse Cha-U-Kao (1895)
Très jolie!
After the gallery, I had lunch at Wagamama - complimentary thanks to their frequent noodler program. And then, it was chocolates at Koko Black ($9 for 4 pieces!!!!) and back to the hotel. My room was finally ready and I checked in to find cricket on TV.
Win.
Win.



No comments:
Post a Comment