Thursday, September 04, 2008

What (Singaporean) Men Want

I have to share this article that was sent to me by Lindsay. Here are the summarised findings from men's perspective, and my own personal comments to that.

AGE
Men want women aged between 25 and 32. Reason? Most are concerned about having children.

LOOKS
Men go for those who are slim and have big eyes, long hair, long legs and big breasts - but who are not bimbos. Celebrities like Jolin Tsai, Felicia Chin and Fiona Xie are benchmarks.


Of course, because in real life the majority of women look like that. And all of those who do have brains too.

CHARACTER
She should be gentle, demure and sometimes submissive. She should also be "well-behaved". Smoking and tattoos are taboo.


I don't consider myself to be "gentle" although I try, I really think I'm just an oaf. I definately do not consider myself to be "demure" and "submissive" are you kidding me???!!!

CAREER/FINANCES
She can be successful but not more so than him. For example, she must not have a higher degree or salary. Some want women with careers linked to good looks, like air stewardesses.


I'm allowed to be successful, but god forbid I should be more successful than my partner. I can't earn more money than him because obviously I'm not allowed to strive for my highest earning potential. And of course, all the women in engineering, IT, and other traditionally male-dominated industries must look like horses cos their careers are not "linked to good looks, like air stewardesses." And I suppose seeing that I will probably have a PhD in a couple of years', it's probably game over for me in Singapore. HAHAHAHA...

How threatened are these people? And is this really representative of the population? This is too amusing not to share.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is SOOO sad (as in SG men are sad). Oh dear.

Si1vara said...

Yeah this came out in the Straits Times mind you, hahahahahha. Hilarious right? I don't think it's very representative though 'cos it sounds like these men are stuck in the middle-ages or something. I'm sure there are smarter, less chauvinistic men around...hopefully...then again there are many men "ordering" brides from Vietnam and China so..maybe it IS true. So ridiculous.