Friday, January 30, 2009

Life as a 26 year-old

I have three days left to enjoy my days as a 26 year-old. I wonder how I will spend the time... I sometimes like to comment about how I think I’m very boring now because I never seem to do anything anymore. Although upon reflection, the last twelve months of my life was actually a time filled with many firsts, many activities, and many achievements.

  • I learned to surf on the Gold Coast. After almost 4 years of living in Queensland, I finally did it and it was super fun

  • I (finally) passed my Confirmation of Candidature for my PhD and within the prescribed 12 months too! Am very pleased about that

  • I received my first journal publication acceptance to a special issue of the Australasian Marketing Journal –YAY! I am now a published academic. I may be third author, but my name is still on that paper!

  • I went to see the Warhol exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art with Bernard and Lindsay. At least I made an effort to do something cultural and potentially pretentious. Haha.

  • I also saw the Picasso collection with Joel on a separate occasion. Brings back regretful memories of rejecting a Picasso-styled artist who wanted to draw my portrait when I was in Paris. I went with a “traditional” artist and didn’t like the end result anyway. Haha... me as a silly sixteen-year-old...

  • I saw the Phantom of the Opera – my first musical ever and it was so good!

  • I finally got a table at Cha Cha Char for Bernard’s birthday after three years of unsuccessful attempts. Yet, none of us would ever go there again. What horrible service!

  • I celebrated another anniversary with a lovely man. He makes me smile and I feel so happy to be with him. We get along so well and we’re so funny together, if I do say so myself :)

  • I attended my first solo conference in Wollongong, NSW

  • I attended my first solo international conference, travelling all the way to Brighton, UK by myself. It was torture, just getting there and the jet lag was awful. The whole trip was just exhausting and I wouldn’t do it again

  • I visited Sydney properly for the first time. Twelve years ago, I was in Sydney with my family on a stopover to the Gold Coast. It was nice to see Sydney “properly” for the first time. I fell in love immediately

  • I got to see Parramatta for the first time, attending a doctoral colloquium with the girls

  • I visited Sydney again where Cheryl and I shopped at Newtown, and Kirsty took us to the Shangri-La for cocktails, and we met up with Olivia for happy hour, and we just enjoyed the food in Sydney!

  • I went to Canberra for a statistics course. The course was great but Canberra was boring as expected. Its saving grace was the fact that there was a Koko Black in the city and we happily had chocolate ice cream for dinner. Yum

  • I saw the ballet for the first time in 14 years. The first and last time I saw a ballet was when I was twelve and I saw the Nutcracker. Olivia and I went to watch Giselle, which was lovely but stupid – I mean, why let yourself go crazy over a cheating bastard?

  • I had a few star sightings; I saw Brent Tate outside River City Apartments, thinking he was in New Zealand when he wasn’t. I met (well more like stared at and then ignored) Matt Giteau and Stirling Mortlock just before the Bledisloe Cup Final (which they lost horribly and Matt had the most shiteous game). I walked past Lawrence Springboard (opposition leader) knowing he was famous but not sure if he was a politician or a rugby commentator (my initial guess was actually correct) and he smiled at us. Haha

  • I saw the Crusaders play the Reds at Suncrop Stadium where we promptly whooped Australian ass. I was being very uncool, getting excited at seeing Ali Williams, Ritchie McCaw, and co. in the flesh

  • I also saw the All Blacks live for the very first time at the Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations final against the Wallabies at Suncorp Stadium. We were surrounded by Kiwis and it was the best thing ever. We won but it was a very exciting game!

  • I also went to the rugby league world cup final on a whim. It was unexpected enough that New Zealand made it to the final, we didn’t think we would actually win! Haha. We had the best seats in the stadium. Four rows from the front, so close to the Kiwis that you could smell the deep heat

  • I observed Ramadhan for the first time in about three or four years. I was very proud and very pleased

  • I finally got to go to the Geylang Serai Bazaar for the first time since I left Singapore. My stopover on route to the UK was timed perfectly

  • I actually decided to celebrate Hari Raya properly for the first time in Brisbane. Properly meaning wearing baju kebaya, cooking rendang, inviting friends over, and making sure I had kueh tart and kueh lapis!

  • I went sailing for the first time at Moreton Bay. It was beautiful. I parked the boat! We did, however, opt for beef for dinner rather than seafood as originally planned

  • I went to see Cirque du Soleil’s Dralion on New Year’s eve. Very cool

In the end, I think it was a pretty good year spent. I hope the next twelve months will be just as exciting, with as many achievements.

6 comments:

Laura said...

This is wonderful Nadia.
These are fantastic intellectual, relationship, cultural and spiritual achievements, not to forget the fun filled outdoor activities.
You are an all rounder and I admire that. I wish you all the best as a 27 year old and I know that you will continue to surprise.

nadia said...

Thank you, Laura. You never blog anymore?

Lindsay said...

yeah you actually did a lot of stuff last year... but um i didnt even see warhol... ha i think u must have been dreaming u saw it with me because i was in melb when u guys went. ;)

nadia said...

it must have been with Bernard and Joel then. I remember Damien walking there with us and then leaving... I think I do so much stuff with u that my brain just thinks you're at everything!

Si1vara said...

wow that's a fantastic list! now I'm inspired to do one before my b'day creeps up on me...

Laura said...

Nadia, that is kind of you to notice. I was very touched.

Let's just say I had to deal with a personal revolution. You will understand.